Do you love dressing up your home with some adorable DIY home decor? How would you like to create your own DIY decorative wood houses without ever having to pick up a power tool??
I am seeing these adorable little wood houses everywhere! I really wanted to add a set to my home, but I wanted them to match my decor. And, that was not easy to find! So, I was thrilled when I found these wood house cutouts and decorative patterns from Chalk Couture! One of the reason I love creating home decor projects using Chalk Couture is that I can select from a wide range of chalkpaste colors, making it easy to match any room in my house!
I know that sometimes it is hard to choose which colors combinations work best so I created this FREE Color Guide Cheatsheet to help!
Ok – let’s get creating!
Here are the Chalk Couture supplies you’ll need to re-create this look at your house:
- House Cutouts (3-Pack, 4¼”, 4½”, and 7¼”)
- House Cutout Trio Patterns transfer
- Chalkpaste in your choice of colors
Now, here’s how to create your wood houses:
One of the great things about these wood houses are that they come ready-to-use. They are solid wood, and come with a gorgeous white-washed finish. You can choose to paint them any color you’d like, but it’s not at all necessary! Oh – and did I mention that they are double-sided and that each side can be decorated? That’s a win-win in my book!
So, I decided to paint one of my wood houses black. Any kind of paint will work. You can even water down the chalkpaste until it’s thin enough to paint on using a paintbrush! How cool is that?
The hardest part of this project is deciding which elements from the house patterns transfer you’ll put where. But, honestly, no matter what you choose, they will come out great!
Here are the step-by-step directions:
- First, cut apart the elements on the transfer, following the white cut lines
- Next, quickly “fuzz” your transfer to soften the adhesive on the back of the transfer a bit
- Now, apply your transfer to the wood shape, smoothing it down so there’s no air bubbles
- Dip your squeegee into your chalkpaste and spread it over the surface of the screen
- Be sure to “squeegee” off any excess paste, then peel back the transfer before the chalkpaste dries
- Move on to the next shape and repeat
- Once the front side of the house is dry (usually it takes about 5 minutes or so), then turn it over to apply the design to the backs.
- Once you’re done with your project, bring your transfers to the sink and clean them up with water and a board eraser. Dry the transfers sticky-side up and put on the backer sheet to store to use again another day!
Watch my live tutorial:
That’s it! That’s all it takes to create beautiful wood houses that perfectly coordinate with your own home decor!
If you liked this project, be sure to pin it for later, and sign up to receive my weekly dose of DIY inspiration delivered right to your inbox!
Request my weekly dose of DIY inspiration now! Click the button below to be added to my list: